Provencal-Style Edamame Saute
From EatingWell: January/February 2007
Provence, in southeast France, has earned the culinary trademark a la Provencal for dishes prepared with plenty of garlic, olive oil and olives. Here we combine fennel, artichoke hearts, edamame, feta and olives in this quick and hearty one-skillet supper.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large bulb fennel, trimmed, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 10-ounce package frozen shelled edamame (about 2 cups), thawed
- 1 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped cured olives
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add fennel and cook, stirring, until starting to soften and brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and herbes de Provence; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine; increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil until the wine is almost evaporated, about 3 minutes. Stir in edamame, artichoke hearts and broth; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until hot, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon zest, lemon juice and salt. Serve sprinkled with feta and olives.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Herbes de Provence can be found in the specialty spice section. Make your own by mixing equal amounts of dried thyme, sage, rosemary, marjoram, summer savory and fennel seed.
Per serving: 317 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 9 g fiber; 730 mg sodium; 449 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Folate (29% dv), Calcium (21% dv), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- New Year's Eve
- January/February 2007