Provencal-Style Edamame Saute
From EatingWell: January/February 2007
Provence, in southeast France, has earned the culinary trademark a la Provencal for dishes prepared with plenty of garlic, olive oil and olives. Here we combine fennel, artichoke hearts, edamame, feta and olives in this quick and hearty one-skillet supper.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large bulb fennel, trimmed, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 10-ounce package frozen shelled edamame (about 2 cups), thawed
- 1 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped cured olives
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add fennel and cook, stirring, until starting to soften and brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and herbes de Provence; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine; increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil until the wine is almost evaporated, about 3 minutes. Stir in edamame, artichoke hearts and broth; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until hot, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon zest, lemon juice and salt. Serve sprinkled with feta and olives.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Herbes de Provence can be found in the specialty spice section. Make your own by mixing equal amounts of dried thyme, sage, rosemary, marjoram, summer savory and fennel seed.
Per serving: 317 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 9 g fiber; 730 mg sodium; 449 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Folate (29% dv), Calcium (21% dv), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- New Year's Eve
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2007