Provencal-Style Edamame Saute
From EatingWell: January/February 2007
Provence, in southeast France, has earned the culinary trademark a la Provencal for dishes prepared with plenty of garlic, olive oil and olives. Here we combine fennel, artichoke hearts, edamame, feta and olives in this quick and hearty one-skillet supper.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large bulb fennel, trimmed, cored and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 10-ounce package frozen shelled edamame (about 2 cups), thawed
- 1 9-ounce package frozen artichoke hearts, thawed
- 1/4 cup vegetable broth, or reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped cured olives
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add fennel and cook, stirring, until starting to soften and brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and herbes de Provence; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add wine; increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil until the wine is almost evaporated, about 3 minutes. Stir in edamame, artichoke hearts and broth; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until hot, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon zest, lemon juice and salt. Serve sprinkled with feta and olives.
Tips & Notes
- Shopping Tip: Herbes de Provence can be found in the specialty spice section. Make your own by mixing equal amounts of dried thyme, sage, rosemary, marjoram, summer savory and fennel seed.
Per serving: 317 calories; 16 g fat (4 g sat, 6 g mono); 17 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 9 g fiber; 730 mg sodium; 449 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (40% daily value), Folate (29% dv), Calcium (21% dv), Iron (15% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 1/2 lean meat, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- New Year's Eve
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- January/February 2007