Here we wrap plump and juicy scallops in a bit of mellow prosciutto for a more sophisticated take on bacon-wrapped scallops. Use a better-quality prosciutto for superior flavor—it may cost a bit more but you only need a small amount for this dish.
- 12 large dry sea scallops, (about 1 pound; see Ingredient Note), tough muscle removed
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 1/4 ounces very thinly sliced prosciutto, (about 3 slices), cut into 12 long strips
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Pat scallops dry and sprinkle both sides with lemon pepper. Wrap 1 strip of prosciutto around each scallop. Thread the scallops onto toothpicks (or skewers), securing the prosciutto to the scallop, and place on the prepared baking sheet. Broil until just cooked through, about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Serve the scallops drizzled with the vinaigrette.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 12 wooden toothpicks or four 10-inch skewers
- Ingredient note: Be sure to buy “dry” sea scallops (scallops that have not been treated with sodium tripolyphosphate, or STP). Scallops that have been treated with STP (“wet” scallops) have been subjected to a chemical bath and are not only mushy and less flavorful, but will not brown properly.
Per scallop: 63 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 0 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 123 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Type of Dish