Here we wrap plump and juicy scallops in a bit of mellow prosciutto for a more sophisticated take on bacon-wrapped scallops. Use a better-quality prosciutto for superior flavor—it may cost a bit more but you only need a small amount for this dish.
- 12 large dry sea scallops, (about 1 pound; see Ingredient Note), tough muscle removed
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 1/4 ounces very thinly sliced prosciutto, (about 3 slices), cut into 12 long strips
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Pat scallops dry and sprinkle both sides with lemon pepper. Wrap 1 strip of prosciutto around each scallop. Thread the scallops onto toothpicks (or skewers), securing the prosciutto to the scallop, and place on the prepared baking sheet. Broil until just cooked through, about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Serve the scallops drizzled with the vinaigrette.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 12 wooden toothpicks or four 10-inch skewers
- Ingredient note: Be sure to buy “dry” sea scallops (scallops that have not been treated with sodium tripolyphosphate, or STP). Scallops that have been treated with STP (“wet” scallops) have been subjected to a chemical bath and are not only mushy and less flavorful, but will not brown properly.
Per scallop: 63 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 0 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 123 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique