Here we wrap plump and juicy scallops in a bit of mellow prosciutto for a more sophisticated take on bacon-wrapped scallops. Use a better-quality prosciutto for superior flavor—it may cost a bit more but you only need a small amount for this dish.
- 12 large dry sea scallops, (about 1 pound; see Ingredient Note), tough muscle removed
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1 1/4 ounces very thinly sliced prosciutto, (about 3 slices), cut into 12 long strips
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Pat scallops dry and sprinkle both sides with lemon pepper. Wrap 1 strip of prosciutto around each scallop. Thread the scallops onto toothpicks (or skewers), securing the prosciutto to the scallop, and place on the prepared baking sheet. Broil until just cooked through, about 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Serve the scallops drizzled with the vinaigrette.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Equipment: 12 wooden toothpicks or four 10-inch skewers
- Ingredient note: Be sure to buy “dry” sea scallops (scallops that have not been treated with sodium tripolyphosphate, or STP). Scallops that have been treated with STP (“wet” scallops) have been subjected to a chemical bath and are not only mushy and less flavorful, but will not brown properly.
Per scallop: 63 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 16 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 0 g fiber; 153 mg sodium; 123 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1 medium-fat meat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique