Prosciutto-Wrapped Pineapple Bites
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
The sweet-and-salty combination in this easy, one-bite prosciutto-wrapped pineapple appetizer recipe is addictive. Double the recipe and serve it for a party. The “bites” taste best with fresh pineapple, but can also be made with canned pineapple chunks.
- 1 fresh pineapple
- 4 thin slices prosciutto (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 fresh jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut off the top and bottom of the pineapple and remove the skin with a sharp knife. Cut the pineapple in quarters lengthwise through the core. Cut out the core. (Reserve half the pineapple for another use.) Cut 2 of the pieces in half again lengthwise, then cut those 4 pieces crosswise into 6 equal pieces to make 24 chunks. Cut each slice of prosciutto lengthwise into 3 strips. Cut each strip in half crosswise to make 24 pieces total. Wrap a piece of prosciutto around each chunk of pineapple. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake on the upper rack until the prosciutto is sizzling and browned in spots, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk pineapple juice, ketchup, vinegar, cornstarch and garlic powder in a small bowl. Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add jalapeño and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the juice mixture; bring to a simmer. Cook until glossy and thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve the pineapple bites on toothpicks with the dipping sauce.
Per serving: 54 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 229 mg sodium; 79 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 2014