Prosciutto-Wrapped Pineapple Bites
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
The sweet-and-salty combination in this easy, one-bite prosciutto-wrapped pineapple appetizer recipe is addictive. Double the recipe and serve it for a party. The “bites” taste best with fresh pineapple, but can also be made with canned pineapple chunks.
- 1 fresh pineapple
- 4 thin slices prosciutto (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 fresh jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut off the top and bottom of the pineapple and remove the skin with a sharp knife. Cut the pineapple in quarters lengthwise through the core. Cut out the core. (Reserve half the pineapple for another use.) Cut 2 of the pieces in half again lengthwise, then cut those 4 pieces crosswise into 6 equal pieces to make 24 chunks. Cut each slice of prosciutto lengthwise into 3 strips. Cut each strip in half crosswise to make 24 pieces total. Wrap a piece of prosciutto around each chunk of pineapple. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake on the upper rack until the prosciutto is sizzling and browned in spots, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk pineapple juice, ketchup, vinegar, cornstarch and garlic powder in a small bowl. Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add jalapeño and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the juice mixture; bring to a simmer. Cook until glossy and thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve the pineapple bites on toothpicks with the dipping sauce.
Per serving: 54 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 229 mg sodium; 79 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 2014