Prosciutto-Wrapped Pineapple Bites
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
The sweet-and-salty combination in this easy, one-bite prosciutto-wrapped pineapple appetizer recipe is addictive. Double the recipe and serve it for a party. The “bites” taste best with fresh pineapple, but can also be made with canned pineapple chunks.
- 1 fresh pineapple
- 4 thin slices prosciutto (2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 fresh jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut off the top and bottom of the pineapple and remove the skin with a sharp knife. Cut the pineapple in quarters lengthwise through the core. Cut out the core. (Reserve half the pineapple for another use.) Cut 2 of the pieces in half again lengthwise, then cut those 4 pieces crosswise into 6 equal pieces to make 24 chunks. Cut each slice of prosciutto lengthwise into 3 strips. Cut each strip in half crosswise to make 24 pieces total. Wrap a piece of prosciutto around each chunk of pineapple. Place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake on the upper rack until the prosciutto is sizzling and browned in spots, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk pineapple juice, ketchup, vinegar, cornstarch and garlic powder in a small bowl. Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add jalapeño and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the juice mixture; bring to a simmer. Cook until glossy and thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve the pineapple bites on toothpicks with the dipping sauce.
Per serving: 54 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 6 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 6 g total sugars; 2 g protein; 1 g fiber; 229 mg sodium; 79 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- January/February 2014