This is the simplest to make of all our cheesecakes but not a bit less extravagant in taste and creamy texture. The indulgence quotient far surpasses its fat and calorie count.
- 20 vanilla wafers, (2 1/2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 1/2 cups low-fat cottage cheese
- 12 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, (not nonfat), softened
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg whites, or 4 teaspoons dried egg whites, reconstituted according to package directions
- 1 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 3 tablespoons bourbon, (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, (2 1/2 teaspoons if not using bourbon)
- Pecan Praline Topping, (recipe follows)
- To prepare crust: Preheat oven to 325°F. Put a kettle of water on to heat for the water bath. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray. Wrap the outside bottom of the pan with a double thickness of foil.
- Finely grind vanilla wafers in a food processor. Add oil and process until well combined. Press into the bottom of the pan.
- To prepare filling: Puree cottage cheese in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides. Add cream cheese, granulated sugar, brown sugar and cornstarch. Process until smooth. Add egg, egg whites, yogurt, bourbon, if using, and vanilla; process until smooth. Pour over crust.
- Place the cheesecake in a roasting pan and pour in enough boiling water to come 1/2 inch up the outside of the springform pan.
- Bake the cheesecake until the edges are set but the center still jiggles, 50 to 60 minutes. Turn off the oven. Spray a knife with cooking spray and run it around the edge of the pan. Let the cheesecake stand in the oven, with the door ajar, for 1 hour. Transfer from the water bath to a wire rack; remove foil. Let cool to room temperature, about 2 hours. Refrigerate, uncovered, until chilled.
- Just before serving, sprinkle the cheesecake with Pecan Praline Topping.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. | Equipment: 9-inch springform pan
Per serving: 210 calories; 7 g fat (3 g sat, 3 g mono); 28 mg cholesterol; 28 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 0 g fiber; 242 mg sodium; 106 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, cakes
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique