From EatingWell: May/June 1991
This stock owes its depth to last summer's crop of potatoes and leeks, simmered into a thick broth. If you don't have leeks, a fat head of garlic, unpeeled and coarsely chopped, makes a fine substitute.
- 5 medium-sized potatoes, (2 pounds), scrubbed, unpeeled, cut in 1-inch pieces
- 4 large leeks, (2 pounds), white part only, split, well-rinsed and cut in pieces
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed and cut in 1” pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon thyme, or regular thyme leaves or pinch dried
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy-bottomed stock pot, along with 8 cups water or more as needed to cover the vegetables. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Pass broth through a food mill or a sieve, pressing on vegetables to extract as much juice as possible.
Per serving: 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 0 g protein; 0 g fiber; 0 mg sodium; 0 mg potassium.
Nutrition Note: After straining and skimming, stock has negligible calories and nutrients.
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)