From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Cheesy mashed potato filling enclosed in a tender dumpling dough, potato pierogis are the ultimate in comfort food. And because this recipe uses wonton wrappers rather than homemade dumpling dough, they take much less time to make.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup cold mashed potatoes
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese, (2 ounces)
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 24-28 wonton wrappers, (about 6 ounces)
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat; add chopped onion and cook, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and mix in mashed potatoes and cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lay a wonton wrapper on a cutting board. (Keep remaining wrappers covered.) Cut wrapper into a circle with a 3-inch round cookie cutter, preferably serrated. Place about 2 teaspoons potato filling just to one side of the center of the circle. Moisten the edges with water, using a pastry brush. Fold wrapper over filling and press edges together to seal. Flute the edge with the tines of a fork. (Be careful not to pierce the wrapper.) Set the pierogi on a baking sheet or tray and continue filling pierogis until the filling is used up. (Keep prepared pierogis covered with a damp cloth as you work.)
- Meanwhile, put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat; add sliced onions, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until tender and lightly caramelized, 10 to 20 minutes. (Reduce heat and/or add a little water, if necessary, to prevent scorching.) Taste and adjust seasonings. Set aside and keep warm.
- Season boiling water with salt and drop in about half the pierogis. Cook until wrappers are tender and pierogis float to the top, 3 to 4 minutes. Retrieve the pierogis with a slotted spoon and place in pan with onions. Repeat with the remaining pierogis.
- Place the pierogis and onions over medium-low heat and shake pan to coat thepierogis with onions; warm through. Serve immediately, with sour cream.
Per serving: 287 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 14 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 3 g fiber; 604 mg sodium; 350 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (220% daily value), Vitamin A (148% dv), Calcium (21% dv), Folate & Selenium (21% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 1997
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)