From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Slivered garlic and freshly grated nutmeg flavor this simple potato gratin.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and slivered
- 1/4 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 1 1/2-quart gratin dish or other shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan, preferably nonstick, over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour begins to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually pour in milk and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture just begins to boil, about 5 minutes. (The sauce may seem thin.) Remove from the heat and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Place a piece of wax paper directly over the surface to prevent a skin from forming and set aside.
- Cut potatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices (a food processor does the job nicely); toss with garlic and spread evenly in the prepared dish. Pour the sauce over the potatoes and bake, uncovered, until the potatoes are very tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over the top and bake until the top is golden, 10 to 12 minutes longer.
Per serving: 198 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 446 mg sodium; 643 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value), Potassium (18% dv), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1996