From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Slivered garlic and freshly grated nutmeg flavor this simple potato gratin.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and slivered
- 1/4 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 1 1/2-quart gratin dish or other shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan, preferably nonstick, over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour begins to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually pour in milk and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture just begins to boil, about 5 minutes. (The sauce may seem thin.) Remove from the heat and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Place a piece of wax paper directly over the surface to prevent a skin from forming and set aside.
- Cut potatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices (a food processor does the job nicely); toss with garlic and spread evenly in the prepared dish. Pour the sauce over the potatoes and bake, uncovered, until the potatoes are very tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over the top and bake until the top is golden, 10 to 12 minutes longer.
Per serving: 198 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 446 mg sodium; 643 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value), Potassium (18% dv), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1996