From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Slivered garlic and freshly grated nutmeg flavor this simple potato gratin.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and slivered
- 1/4 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 1 1/2-quart gratin dish or other shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan, preferably nonstick, over medium heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour begins to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Gradually pour in milk and increase heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture just begins to boil, about 5 minutes. (The sauce may seem thin.) Remove from the heat and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Place a piece of wax paper directly over the surface to prevent a skin from forming and set aside.
- Cut potatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices (a food processor does the job nicely); toss with garlic and spread evenly in the prepared dish. Pour the sauce over the potatoes and bake, uncovered, until the potatoes are very tender, 40 to 45 minutes. Sprinkle cheese over the top and bake until the top is golden, 10 to 12 minutes longer.
Per serving: 198 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 10 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 8 g protein; 2 g fiber; 446 mg sodium; 643 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value), Potassium (18% dv), Calcium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 low-fat milk, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 1996