Potato, Asparagus & Mushroom Hash
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Made with asparagus, roasted red pepper and mushrooms, this hash has a fresh and light, springtime taste. Serve with hearty whole-grain toast and an egg or two on top.
- 1 pound new or baby potatoes, scrubbed, halved if large
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound), trimmed and cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 ounces shiitake mushroom caps or other mushrooms, sliced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Fresh chives for garnish
- Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan, add 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Put potatoes in the basket and steam until barely tender when pierced with a skewer, 12 to 15 minutes, depending on size. When cool enough to handle, chop into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large (not nonstick) skillet over medium heat. Add asparagus, mushrooms, shallot and garlic and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the pan. Add onion and the potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up the browned bits with a metal spatula, until the potatoes are browned, 4 to 8 minutes. Return the asparagus mixture to the pan along with roasted red pepper, sage, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute more. Serve sprinkled with chives, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Steam potatoes (Step 1); refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 239 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 492 mg sodium; 777 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (28% daily value), Vitamin C (27% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- March/April 2012