Potato, Asparagus & Mushroom Hash
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Made with asparagus, roasted red pepper and mushrooms, this hash has a fresh and light, springtime taste. Serve with hearty whole-grain toast and an egg or two on top.
- 1 pound new or baby potatoes, scrubbed, halved if large
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 bunch asparagus (about 1 pound), trimmed and cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 ounces shiitake mushroom caps or other mushrooms, sliced
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped jarred roasted red peppers, rinsed
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Fresh chives for garnish
- Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan, add 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Put potatoes in the basket and steam until barely tender when pierced with a skewer, 12 to 15 minutes, depending on size. When cool enough to handle, chop into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large (not nonstick) skillet over medium heat. Add asparagus, mushrooms, shallot and garlic and cook, stirring often, until beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove to a plate.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the pan. Add onion and the potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally and scraping up the browned bits with a metal spatula, until the potatoes are browned, 4 to 8 minutes. Return the asparagus mixture to the pan along with roasted red pepper, sage, salt and pepper; cook, stirring, until heated through, about 1 minute more. Serve sprinkled with chives, if desired.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Steam potatoes (Step 1); refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Per serving: 239 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 5 g protein; 4 g fiber; 492 mg sodium; 777 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (28% daily value), Vitamin C (27% dv), Potassium (23% dv), Vitamin A (16% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- March/April 2012