Pot of Beans
Here’s a basic method for cooking beans. Soaking the beans is not required, but makes the beans cook faster and more evenly.
- 1 pound dry beans
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped (optional)
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- Pick over beans to remove any pebbles or broken beans and rinse well under cold water. Place in a large bowl, cover with 3 inches of cold water and soak for 4 to 24 hours.
- When you’re ready to cook the beans, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and celery (if using). Cook, stirring, until the vegetables are beginning to soften, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain the beans and add to the pan. Add enough cold water to cover the beans by 1 inch. Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes. Lower the heat to a bare simmer, partially cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 20 minutes to 3 hours, depending on the freshness of the beans. If at any time the liquid level drops below the beans, add 1 cup hot water. When the beans are nearly soft, stir in salt. (Do not drain: beans are best stored in their cooking liquid and the liquid can be used in some recipes.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate the beans in their cooking liquid for up to 1 week or freeze for up to 3 months.
Per 1/2-cup serving pinto beans: 125 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 23 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 8 g protein; 8 g fiber; 57 mg sodium; 382 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Other (non-main dish)