Portuguese Potato & Kale Soup
Collard or mustard greens can be substituted for the kale in this flavorful soup.
- 6 ounces chorizo sausage, cut in half lengthwise and sliced (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 all-purpose potatoes, (2 pounds total), peeled and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled, root ends trimmed
- 1 bunch kale, (1 pound), trimmed, washed and thinly sliced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat a small, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain the chorizo on paper towels and set aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Add broth, potatoes and garlic and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes and garlic to a bowl with a slotted spoon; lightly mash with a fork. Return to the soup and bring to a simmer. Stir in kale, a handful at a time. Simmer until the kale is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the reserved chorizo and season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chorizo, a spicy pork sausage seasoned with paprika and chili, is originally from Spain and is often used in Mexican cooking. Chorizo can be made with raw or smoked, ground or chopped pork. Chorizo can be found in the deli section of most large supermarkets.
Per serving: 217 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 6 g fiber; 474 mg sodium; 1024 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (174% daily value), Vitamin C (157% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high fat meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Other European
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)