Portuguese Potato & Kale Soup
Collard or mustard greens can be substituted for the kale in this flavorful soup.
- 6 ounces chorizo sausage, cut in half lengthwise and sliced (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 all-purpose potatoes, (2 pounds total), peeled and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled, root ends trimmed
- 1 bunch kale, (1 pound), trimmed, washed and thinly sliced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat a small, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain the chorizo on paper towels and set aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Add broth, potatoes and garlic and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes and garlic to a bowl with a slotted spoon; lightly mash with a fork. Return to the soup and bring to a simmer. Stir in kale, a handful at a time. Simmer until the kale is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the reserved chorizo and season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chorizo, a spicy pork sausage seasoned with paprika and chili, is originally from Spain and is often used in Mexican cooking. Chorizo can be made with raw or smoked, ground or chopped pork. Chorizo can be found in the deli section of most large supermarkets.
Per serving: 217 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 6 g fiber; 474 mg sodium; 1024 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (174% daily value), Vitamin C (157% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high fat meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Other European
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual