Portuguese Potato & Kale Soup
Collard or mustard greens can be substituted for the kale in this flavorful soup.
- 6 ounces chorizo sausage, cut in half lengthwise and sliced (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 all-purpose potatoes, (2 pounds total), peeled and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled, root ends trimmed
- 1 bunch kale, (1 pound), trimmed, washed and thinly sliced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat a small, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain the chorizo on paper towels and set aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Add broth, potatoes and garlic and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes and garlic to a bowl with a slotted spoon; lightly mash with a fork. Return to the soup and bring to a simmer. Stir in kale, a handful at a time. Simmer until the kale is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the reserved chorizo and season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chorizo, a spicy pork sausage seasoned with paprika and chili, is originally from Spain and is often used in Mexican cooking. Chorizo can be made with raw or smoked, ground or chopped pork. Chorizo can be found in the deli section of most large supermarkets.
Per serving: 217 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 6 g fiber; 474 mg sodium; 1024 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (174% daily value), Vitamin C (157% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high fat meat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Entertaining, casual
- Other European
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique