Portuguese Potato & Kale Soup
Collard or mustard greens can be substituted for the kale in this flavorful soup.
- 6 ounces chorizo sausage, cut in half lengthwise and sliced (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 all-purpose potatoes, (2 pounds total), peeled and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled, root ends trimmed
- 1 bunch kale, (1 pound), trimmed, washed and thinly sliced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat a small, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain the chorizo on paper towels and set aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Add broth, potatoes and garlic and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes and garlic to a bowl with a slotted spoon; lightly mash with a fork. Return to the soup and bring to a simmer. Stir in kale, a handful at a time. Simmer until the kale is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the reserved chorizo and season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chorizo, a spicy pork sausage seasoned with paprika and chili, is originally from Spain and is often used in Mexican cooking. Chorizo can be made with raw or smoked, ground or chopped pork. Chorizo can be found in the deli section of most large supermarkets.
Per serving: 217 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 6 g fiber; 474 mg sodium; 1024 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (174% daily value), Vitamin C (157% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high fat meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Other European
- Ease of Preparation