Portuguese Potato & Kale Soup
Collard or mustard greens can be substituted for the kale in this flavorful soup.
- 6 ounces chorizo sausage, cut in half lengthwise and sliced (see Note)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 all-purpose potatoes, (2 pounds total), peeled and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled, root ends trimmed
- 1 bunch kale, (1 pound), trimmed, washed and thinly sliced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat a small, nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chorizo and cook, stirring, until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain the chorizo on paper towels and set aside.
- Heat oil in a heavy stockpot over medium heat. Add onions and sauté until softened, 5 to 10 minutes. Add broth, potatoes and garlic and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the potatoes and garlic to a bowl with a slotted spoon; lightly mash with a fork. Return to the soup and bring to a simmer. Stir in kale, a handful at a time. Simmer until the kale is tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the reserved chorizo and season with salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chorizo, a spicy pork sausage seasoned with paprika and chili, is originally from Spain and is often used in Mexican cooking. Chorizo can be made with raw or smoked, ground or chopped pork. Chorizo can be found in the deli section of most large supermarkets.
Per serving: 217 calories; 11 g fat (4 g sat, 5 g mono); 24 mg cholesterol; 17 g carbohydrates; 14 g protein; 6 g fiber; 474 mg sodium; 1024 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (174% daily value), Vitamin C (157% dv), Potassium (29% dv), Iron (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 high fat meat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Other European