Portuguese Bread & Garlic Soup (AÃ§orda)
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
This traditional Portuguese peasant soup is perfect for using up day-old bread.
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 12 sprigs cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 46-ounce can or three 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth, (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 8 ounces day-old sourdough, or other coarse-textured country bread
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Crush garlic cloves with the flat of a chef’s knife (do not peel). Separate cilantro leaves from stems and set the leaves aside for garnish. Tuck the garlic, cilantro stems and crushed red pepper into a tea infuser (or cheesecloth bag) and place it in a large saucepan. Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, until reduced to 4 cups, 15 to 20 minutes, skimming off any froth that rises to the surface.
- Meanwhile, cut bread into 1-inch cubes. (You will have about 4 cups.) Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the cubed bread and cook, stirring, until the bread is lightly toasted, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea infuser (or cheesecloth bag) from the reduced broth. Pour the broth over the bread. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 1 minute to allow the bread to soften.
- Sliver the reserved cilantro leaves.
- With a wooden spoon, mash the bread slightly so that it thickens the soup. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle cilantro over the top and serve immediately.
Per serving: 223 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 1 g fiber; 523 mg sodium; 73 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (33% daily value), Selenium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Other European
- January/February 1996