Portuguese Bread & Garlic Soup (AÃ§orda)
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
This traditional Portuguese peasant soup is perfect for using up day-old bread.
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 12 sprigs cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 46-ounce can or three 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth, (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 8 ounces day-old sourdough, or other coarse-textured country bread
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Crush garlic cloves with the flat of a chef’s knife (do not peel). Separate cilantro leaves from stems and set the leaves aside for garnish. Tuck the garlic, cilantro stems and crushed red pepper into a tea infuser (or cheesecloth bag) and place it in a large saucepan. Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, until reduced to 4 cups, 15 to 20 minutes, skimming off any froth that rises to the surface.
- Meanwhile, cut bread into 1-inch cubes. (You will have about 4 cups.) Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the cubed bread and cook, stirring, until the bread is lightly toasted, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea infuser (or cheesecloth bag) from the reduced broth. Pour the broth over the bread. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 1 minute to allow the bread to soften.
- Sliver the reserved cilantro leaves.
- With a wooden spoon, mash the bread slightly so that it thickens the soup. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle cilantro over the top and serve immediately.
Per serving: 223 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 1 g fiber; 523 mg sodium; 73 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (33% daily value), Selenium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Other European
- January/February 1996