Portuguese Bread & Garlic Soup (AÃ§orda)
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
This traditional Portuguese peasant soup is perfect for using up day-old bread.
- 2 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 12 sprigs cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 46-ounce can or three 14-ounce cans reduced-sodium chicken broth, (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 8 ounces day-old sourdough, or other coarse-textured country bread
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Crush garlic cloves with the flat of a chef’s knife (do not peel). Separate cilantro leaves from stems and set the leaves aside for garnish. Tuck the garlic, cilantro stems and crushed red pepper into a tea infuser (or cheesecloth bag) and place it in a large saucepan. Pour in broth and bring to a boil. Boil, uncovered, until reduced to 4 cups, 15 to 20 minutes, skimming off any froth that rises to the surface.
- Meanwhile, cut bread into 1-inch cubes. (You will have about 4 cups.) Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add the cubed bread and cook, stirring, until the bread is lightly toasted, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove the tea infuser (or cheesecloth bag) from the reduced broth. Pour the broth over the bread. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 1 minute to allow the bread to soften.
- Sliver the reserved cilantro leaves.
- With a wooden spoon, mash the bread slightly so that it thickens the soup. Ladle into bowls, sprinkle cilantro over the top and serve immediately.
Per serving: 223 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 33 g carbohydrates; 11 g protein; 1 g fiber; 523 mg sodium; 73 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (33% daily value), Selenium (21% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Other European
- January/February 1996