Portobellos with a Cilantro-Mustard Seed Crust
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Meaty portobello mushrooms served with a spicy chile sauce make a sophisticated vegetarian main course.
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 5- to 6-ounce portobello mushrooms
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- New Mexico Chile Sauce, (recipe follows), heated
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix cilantro, mustard, mustard seeds and garlic in a small bowl.
- Remove stems and scrape the black gills from the undersides of the mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Brush oil evenly over a 10-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, rounded side down, and sear 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, turn over and spread mustard mixture over browned side. Transfer the pan to oven and roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a cutting board and carve into slices. Spoon some New Mexico Chile Sauce onto 2 plates and top with the mushroom slices. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 106 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 305 mg sodium; 924 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (38% daily value), Potassium (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- January/February 1998