Portobellos with a Cilantro-Mustard Seed Crust
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Meaty portobello mushrooms served with a spicy chile sauce make a sophisticated vegetarian main course.
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 5- to 6-ounce portobello mushrooms
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- New Mexico Chile Sauce, (recipe follows), heated
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix cilantro, mustard, mustard seeds and garlic in a small bowl.
- Remove stems and scrape the black gills from the undersides of the mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Brush oil evenly over a 10-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, rounded side down, and sear 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, turn over and spread mustard mixture over browned side. Transfer the pan to oven and roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a cutting board and carve into slices. Spoon some New Mexico Chile Sauce onto 2 plates and top with the mushroom slices. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 106 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 305 mg sodium; 924 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (38% daily value), Potassium (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1998