Portobellos with a Cilantro-Mustard Seed Crust
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Meaty portobello mushrooms served with a spicy chile sauce make a sophisticated vegetarian main course.
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 5- to 6-ounce portobello mushrooms
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- New Mexico Chile Sauce, (recipe follows), heated
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix cilantro, mustard, mustard seeds and garlic in a small bowl.
- Remove stems and scrape the black gills from the undersides of the mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Brush oil evenly over a 10-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, rounded side down, and sear 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, turn over and spread mustard mixture over browned side. Transfer the pan to oven and roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a cutting board and carve into slices. Spoon some New Mexico Chile Sauce onto 2 plates and top with the mushroom slices. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 106 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 305 mg sodium; 924 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (38% daily value), Potassium (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1998