Portobellos with a Cilantro-Mustard Seed Crust
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Meaty portobello mushrooms served with a spicy chile sauce make a sophisticated vegetarian main course.
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 5- to 6-ounce portobello mushrooms
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- New Mexico Chile Sauce, (recipe follows), heated
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix cilantro, mustard, mustard seeds and garlic in a small bowl.
- Remove stems and scrape the black gills from the undersides of the mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Brush oil evenly over a 10-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, rounded side down, and sear 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, turn over and spread mustard mixture over browned side. Transfer the pan to oven and roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a cutting board and carve into slices. Spoon some New Mexico Chile Sauce onto 2 plates and top with the mushroom slices. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 106 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 305 mg sodium; 924 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (38% daily value), Potassium (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- January/February 1998