Portobellos with a Cilantro-Mustard Seed Crust
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
Meaty portobello mushrooms served with a spicy chile sauce make a sophisticated vegetarian main course.
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 5- to 6-ounce portobello mushrooms
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- New Mexico Chile Sauce, (recipe follows), heated
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix cilantro, mustard, mustard seeds and garlic in a small bowl.
- Remove stems and scrape the black gills from the undersides of the mushrooms; season with salt and pepper. Brush oil evenly over a 10-inch cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, rounded side down, and sear 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, turn over and spread mustard mixture over browned side. Transfer the pan to oven and roast until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a cutting board and carve into slices. Spoon some New Mexico Chile Sauce onto 2 plates and top with the mushroom slices. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 106 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 6 g protein; 4 g fiber; 305 mg sodium; 924 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (38% daily value), Potassium (26% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, vegetarian
- January/February 1998