If you are going meatless, this is THE recipe for Philly Cheese Steak. My husband and I are trying to eat less meat, and this recipe was one of the best vegetarian recipes. It is very hearty and delicious.
Portobello "Philly Cheese Steak" Sandwich
Cheese steaks are a Philadelphia tradition: thin slices from a rich and very fatty slab of beef, fried up and topped with a heavy cheese sauce. We've cut down on the fat considerably - but not on the taste. All it needs is a cold beer or a glass of pinot noir on the side. Make this vegetarian by using vegetable broth in place of chicken stock.
49 Reviews for Portobello "Philly Cheese Steak" Sandwich
Really hearty and filling - exactly what I look for in a vegetarian meal. I try to cook at least 1 to 2 vegetarian meals a week and this is perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. Instead of the provolone I used 2% pepperjack cheese for a little kick. Served with oven roasted sweet potato and regular potato fries.
Easy to make and absolutely delicious! I made it with white rolls instead of wheat just because that is what I had to use up. Does NOT taste like it is healthy at all. Can't wait to make it again.
Really good! For 2 of us, I used 2 portabellos and added 1/2 a diced zucchini, and 3 or 4 "Peppadews," which are a new friend in my kitchen. I also added garlic and fresh herbs (basil, marjoram, thyme), and a Tbsp Worcestershire. I browned the insides of the rolls in a pan before adding the vege mixture. This is perfect for a weeknight dinner. I served it with a green salad.
If you use Chicken broth, like is suggested in the recipe, then the recipe isn't technically vegetarian!
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- What Does a 1,500-Calorie Diet Look Like? (85 comments)
- EatingWell 28 Day Meal Plan Help (50 comments)
- EatingWell 7-Day Meal Plan Help (32 comments)
- Week #1: Are You Ready for a Change? (30 comments)
- Bottled Water vs. Tap (29 comments)
- EatingWell Magazine Digital Subscriptions or Single Issue Copies (28 comments)
- 3 Antidotes to Overeating (24 comments)
- The Wild Salmon Debate (21 comments)
- 7 Steps to Permanent Weight Loss (20 comments)
- Boost Fiber to Slim Down (18 comments)