This rich, earthy gravy can be made with fresh shiitakes as well as portobellos. Leave the mushroom pieces in for a chunky-style sauce or strain them out for a velvety consistency.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups chopped cleaned portobello mushrooms, (2 medium)
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 3 tablespoons tamari, or reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon crumbled dried sage
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until they begin to release their juices, about 10 minutes.
- Add broth, tamari (or soy sauce), thyme and sage; simmer for 10 minutes. Mix cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Stir into the sauce and simmer, stirring often, until slightly thickened, about 10 minutes more. Season with pepper. If you prefer a smooth gravy, pass it through a fine sieve (discard mushrooms and onions). Serve hot.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Commercial vegetable broth is readily available in natural-foods stores and many supermarkets. We especially like the Imagine and Pacific brands, sold in convenient aseptic packages that allow you to use small amounts and keep the rest refrigerated.
Per serving: 44 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 1 g fiber; 510 mg sodium; 100 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 fat (per 1/4 cup)
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- 8 or more