Portobello & Beef Patty Melt
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
This diner classic gets a makeover by replacing some of the ground beef with finely chopped portobello mushrooms, which add moisture and flavor. We like a smear of pickle relish on top, but you could try chutney, mustard or hot pepper relish in its place. Make it a Meal: Round out the plate with Oven Sweet Potato Fries and Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower.
- 12 ounces 93%-lean ground beef
- 2 cups finely chopped portobello mushroom caps, (about 2), gills removed
- 3 tablespoons plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices rye bread
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 8 teaspoons pickle relish
- 4 slices Swiss cheese, (2 ounces)
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Line a broiler pan with foil.
- Gently mix beef, mushrooms, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire, thyme, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until combined. Shape into 4 patties and place on the prepared pan. Broil until cooked though, 4 to 6 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, toast bread. Rub each slice of toast with garlic.
- Place 1 patty on each piece of toast, top each with 2 teaspoons relish and cover with a slice of cheese. Remove foil and place the sandwiches on the pan; broil until the cheese is just melted, 30 to 60 seconds.
Per serving: 352 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 4 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 617 mg sodium; 512 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (36% daily value), Iron (20% dv), Folate (17% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2008