Portobello & Beef Patty Melt
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
This diner classic gets a makeover by replacing some of the ground beef with finely chopped portobello mushrooms, which add moisture and flavor. We like a smear of pickle relish on top, but you could try chutney, mustard or hot pepper relish in its place. Make it a Meal: Round out the plate with Oven Sweet Potato Fries and Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower.
- 12 ounces 93%-lean ground beef
- 2 cups finely chopped portobello mushroom caps, (about 2), gills removed
- 3 tablespoons plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices rye bread
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 8 teaspoons pickle relish
- 4 slices Swiss cheese, (2 ounces)
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Line a broiler pan with foil.
- Gently mix beef, mushrooms, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire, thyme, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until combined. Shape into 4 patties and place on the prepared pan. Broil until cooked though, 4 to 6 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, toast bread. Rub each slice of toast with garlic.
- Place 1 patty on each piece of toast, top each with 2 teaspoons relish and cover with a slice of cheese. Remove foil and place the sandwiches on the pan; broil until the cheese is just melted, 30 to 60 seconds.
Per serving: 352 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 4 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 617 mg sodium; 512 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (36% daily value), Iron (20% dv), Folate (17% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2008