Portobello & Beef Patty Melt
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
This diner classic gets a makeover by replacing some of the ground beef with finely chopped portobello mushrooms, which add moisture and flavor. We like a smear of pickle relish on top, but you could try chutney, mustard or hot pepper relish in its place. Make it a Meal: Round out the plate with Oven Sweet Potato Fries and Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower.
- 12 ounces 93%-lean ground beef
- 2 cups finely chopped portobello mushroom caps, (about 2), gills removed
- 3 tablespoons plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices rye bread
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 8 teaspoons pickle relish
- 4 slices Swiss cheese, (2 ounces)
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Line a broiler pan with foil.
- Gently mix beef, mushrooms, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire, thyme, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until combined. Shape into 4 patties and place on the prepared pan. Broil until cooked though, 4 to 6 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, toast bread. Rub each slice of toast with garlic.
- Place 1 patty on each piece of toast, top each with 2 teaspoons relish and cover with a slice of cheese. Remove foil and place the sandwiches on the pan; broil until the cheese is just melted, 30 to 60 seconds.
Per serving: 352 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 4 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 617 mg sodium; 512 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (36% daily value), Iron (20% dv), Folate (17% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2008