Portobello & Beef Patty Melt
From EatingWell: January/February 2008
This diner classic gets a makeover by replacing some of the ground beef with finely chopped portobello mushrooms, which add moisture and flavor. We like a smear of pickle relish on top, but you could try chutney, mustard or hot pepper relish in its place. Make it a Meal: Round out the plate with Oven Sweet Potato Fries and Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower.
- 12 ounces 93%-lean ground beef
- 2 cups finely chopped portobello mushroom caps, (about 2), gills removed
- 3 tablespoons plain dry breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 slices rye bread
- 1 clove garlic, peeled
- 8 teaspoons pickle relish
- 4 slices Swiss cheese, (2 ounces)
- Position rack in upper third of oven; preheat broiler. Line a broiler pan with foil.
- Gently mix beef, mushrooms, breadcrumbs, Worcestershire, thyme, salt and pepper in a medium bowl until combined. Shape into 4 patties and place on the prepared pan. Broil until cooked though, 4 to 6 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, toast bread. Rub each slice of toast with garlic.
- Place 1 patty on each piece of toast, top each with 2 teaspoons relish and cover with a slice of cheese. Remove foil and place the sandwiches on the pan; broil until the cheese is just melted, 30 to 60 seconds.
Per serving: 352 calories; 13 g fat (6 g sat, 4 g mono); 78 mg cholesterol; 26 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 3 g fiber; 617 mg sodium; 512 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Zinc (36% daily value), Iron (20% dv), Folate (17% dv), Calcium (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2008