Port & Plum Sorbet
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
This healthy plum sorbet recipe is made with ruby port to add depth and give it a distinct and delightful flavor. For the best sorbet, make sure the plums are extra ripe but not bruised.
- 5 cups quartered, pitted ripe plum (about 6 plums)
- 1/2 cup ruby port or Concord grape juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Puree plums in a food processor until smooth. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl and press on the solids to extract all the juice.
- Combine port (or juice), water and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir the syrup into the fruit puree. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator until cold, about 4 hours.
- Pour the sorbet mixture into an ice cream maker. (No ice cream maker? See Tip.) Freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Let soften slightly before serving.
- Tip: If you don’t have an ice cream maker, freeze the mixture in a shallow metal cake pan or ice cube trays until solid, about 6 hours. Break into chunks and process in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
Per 1/2 cup: 160 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 17 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 234 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, frozen
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Ease of Preparation
- July/August 2013