Port & Plum Sorbet
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
This healthy plum sorbet recipe is made with ruby port to add depth and give it a distinct and delightful flavor. For the best sorbet, make sure the plums are extra ripe but not bruised.
- 5 cups quartered, pitted ripe plum (about 6 plums)
- 1/2 cup ruby port or Concord grape juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Puree plums in a food processor until smooth. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl and press on the solids to extract all the juice.
- Combine port (or juice), water and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir the syrup into the fruit puree. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator until cold, about 4 hours.
- Pour the sorbet mixture into an ice cream maker. (No ice cream maker? See Tip.) Freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Let soften slightly before serving.
- Tip: If you don’t have an ice cream maker, freeze the mixture in a shallow metal cake pan or ice cube trays until solid, about 6 hours. Break into chunks and process in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
Per 1/2 cup: 160 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 17 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 234 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, frozen
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- July/August 2013