Port & Plum Sorbet
From EatingWell: July/August 2013
This healthy plum sorbet recipe is made with ruby port to add depth and give it a distinct and delightful flavor. For the best sorbet, make sure the plums are extra ripe but not bruised.
- 5 cups quartered, pitted ripe plum (about 6 plums)
- 1/2 cup ruby port or Concord grape juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Puree plums in a food processor until smooth. Pour through a fine-mesh sieve set over a bowl and press on the solids to extract all the juice.
- Combine port (or juice), water and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir the syrup into the fruit puree. Chill the mixture in the refrigerator until cold, about 4 hours.
- Pour the sorbet mixture into an ice cream maker. (No ice cream maker? See Tip.) Freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Let soften slightly before serving.
- Tip: If you don’t have an ice cream maker, freeze the mixture in a shallow metal cake pan or ice cube trays until solid, about 6 hours. Break into chunks and process in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed.
Per 1/2 cup: 160 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 35 g carbohydrates; 17 g added sugars; 1 g protein; 2 g fiber; 2 mg sodium; 234 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (22% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 2 Carbohydrate Servings
Exchanges: 1 fruit, 1 other carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, frozen
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- July/August 2013