Port & Dried Cherry Sauce
From EatingWell: January/February 1998
This richly flavored sauce is a lighter, faster spin on a classic sauce espagnole. It is great with pork tenderloin and roasted turkey breast as well as duck.
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup white or cremini mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 2 ounces Canadian-style bacon, diced (1/3 cup)
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons port
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 2-3 sprigs fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup dried sour cherries
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, mushrooms and bacon; cook, stirring frequently, until golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add 3/4 cup port and vinegar and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat until reduced by half, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth, tomato paste, garlic, thyme and crushed peppercorns and return to a boil. Cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the sauce from heat and let stand for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Pass the sauce through a fine sieve into a small saucepan, pressing hard on solids to extract juices. Bring to a simmer.
- Mix cornstarch with remaining 2 tablespoons port in a small bowl. Add to the sauce and whisk until thickened slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cover cherries with boiling water. Let plump for 5 to 10 minutes. Drain and stir into sauce.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 3; cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 6 months. Bring to a simmer before continuing with Step 4.
Per tablespoon: 50 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 74 mg sodium; 93 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 carbohydrate
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Sauce/Condiment, savory
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- January/February 1998