Pork Tenderloin with Fennel
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
A garlicky fennel-seed crust and a delicate sauce enriched with pureed fresh fennel are delicious accompaniments to pork tenderloin. Make it a meal: Earthy Barley “Risotto” with Asparagus & Shiitakes would be delicious alongside.
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 12-ounce pork tenderloins, trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fennel bulb, plus fronds for garnish
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat sour cream, (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mash garlic, fennel seeds and salt together on a cutting board with the flat side of a large knife. Place in a small bowl; stir in pepper and 1 1/2 teaspoons oil. Rub the fennel-seed mixture evenly over pork, pressing it into the crevices. Fold the thin tails underneath and secure with butcher’s string or a toothpick.
- Heat a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook until lightly browned on one side, about 1 1/2 minutes. Turn the tenderloins over, transfer the skillet to the oven and roast until the internal temperature registers 145°F, 15 to 17 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Add fennel and onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Add broth and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over low heat until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a blender or food processor and puree. Return to the saucepan and keep warm.
- When the pork is done, transfer it to a carving board, cover loosely and keep warm. Place the pan (be careful, the handle will be hot) over medium-high heat. Add wine and bring to a boil, stirring. Boil until reduced by half, about 2 minutes. Add to the fennel sauce, along with sour cream (if using). Taste and adjust seasonings. Remove the string or toothpick from the pork and carve into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Spoon the sauce onto plates and fan pork slices over top. Garnish with a few fennel fronds.
Per serving: 197 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 75 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 25 g protein; 1 g fiber; 294 mg sodium; 561 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (16% daily value), Selenium (48% dv), Zinc (16%).
Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 very lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 1995
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)