Pork Tenderloin Southern Style
Homemade barbecue sauce glazes lean pork tenderloins in this simple dish. Serve with black beans and rice.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 3/4-pound pork tenderloins, trimmed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeño and garlic; sauté until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add molasses, vinegar, mustard and soy sauce; reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until quite thick, about 7 minutes.
- Rub tenderloins generously with black pepper. Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a medium ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tenderloins and cook, turning, until well browned on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Brush the pork generously with some of the barbecue sauce. Place the skillet in the oven and roast for 7 minutes. Turn over the tenderloins and brush them with remaining sauce and roast for 7 to 8 minutes more, or until the internal temperature is 160°F. Let the pork rest for 5 minutes. Carve into 3/4-inch-thick slices and serve.
Per serving: 185 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 174 mg sodium; 682 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (19% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Main Ingredient
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat