Pork Tenderloin Southern Style
Homemade barbecue sauce glazes lean pork tenderloins in this simple dish. Serve with black beans and rice.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 3/4-pound pork tenderloins, trimmed
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeño and garlic; sauté until softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add molasses, vinegar, mustard and soy sauce; reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until quite thick, about 7 minutes.
- Rub tenderloins generously with black pepper. Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in a medium ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tenderloins and cook, turning, until well browned on all sides, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Brush the pork generously with some of the barbecue sauce. Place the skillet in the oven and roast for 7 minutes. Turn over the tenderloins and brush them with remaining sauce and roast for 7 to 8 minutes more, or until the internal temperature is 160°F. Let the pork rest for 5 minutes. Carve into 3/4-inch-thick slices and serve.
Per serving: 185 calories; 4 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 74 mg cholesterol; 12 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 174 mg sodium; 682 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Potassium (19% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Main Ingredient
- Everyday favorites
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less