Pork & Snap Pea Lo Mein
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Lo mein is a Chinese restaurant takeout favorite that’s easy to make at home. This lo mein recipe features lean pork loin chops and snap peas, but snow peas or asparagus work well too. Serve with shredded radish and cabbage tossed with rice vinegar.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups snap peas, trimmed
- 12 ounces boneless pork loin chops or tenderloin, trimmed, cut into thin strips
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 scallions, sliced
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, cornstarch and sugar in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add snap peas and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add pork and cook, stirring, until no longer pink on the outside, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir the soy sauce mixture, pour into the pan and cook, stirring, until thickened, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Add the pasta to the pan and toss to coat with the sauce. Serve topped with scallions.
Per serving: 413 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 8 g fiber; 756 mg sodium; 412 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (27% daily value), Iron (21% dv), Zinc (19% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 2012