Pork & Snap Pea Lo Mein
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Lo mein is a Chinese restaurant takeout favorite that’s easy to make at home. This lo mein recipe features lean pork loin chops and snap peas, but snow peas or asparagus work well too. Serve with shredded radish and cabbage tossed with rice vinegar.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups snap peas, trimmed
- 12 ounces boneless pork loin chops or tenderloin, trimmed, cut into thin strips
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 scallions, sliced
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, cornstarch and sugar in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add snap peas and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add pork and cook, stirring, until no longer pink on the outside, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir the soy sauce mixture, pour into the pan and cook, stirring, until thickened, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Add the pasta to the pan and toss to coat with the sauce. Serve topped with scallions.
Per serving: 413 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 8 g fiber; 756 mg sodium; 412 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (27% daily value), Iron (21% dv), Zinc (19% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012