Pork & Snap Pea Lo Mein
From EatingWell: March/April 2012
Lo mein is a Chinese restaurant takeout favorite that’s easy to make at home. This lo mein recipe features lean pork loin chops and snap peas, but snow peas or asparagus work well too. Serve with shredded radish and cabbage tossed with rice vinegar.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups snap peas, trimmed
- 12 ounces boneless pork loin chops or tenderloin, trimmed, cut into thin strips
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3-4 scallions, sliced
- Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain.
- Combine soy sauce, rice vinegar, cornstarch and sugar in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add snap peas and cook, stirring frequently, until beginning to soften, about 2 minutes. Add pork and cook, stirring, until no longer pink on the outside, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir the soy sauce mixture, pour into the pan and cook, stirring, until thickened, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Add the pasta to the pan and toss to coat with the sauce. Serve topped with scallions.
Per serving: 413 calories; 12 g fat (2 g sat, 6 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 52 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 27 g protein; 8 g fiber; 756 mg sodium; 412 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Magnesium (27% daily value), Iron (21% dv), Zinc (19% dv), Vitamin C (17% dv)
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- March/April 2012