Pork & Red Pepper Hash
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Red bell pepper and scallions add crunch and color to this full-flavored hash. Steak, chicken or turkey could be substituted for the pork, if you like.
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 boneless pork loin chop, (4 ounces), trimmed of fat and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups frozen diced hash brown potatoes
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot or sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Sprinkle flour over pork and turn to coat both sides. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Spread the pork evenly in the pan and cook until lightly browned on one side, 1 to 2 minutes. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer the pork to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until starting to brown, 1 to 3 minutes. Add potatoes, bell pepper, paprika, garlic powder, rosemary, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the potatoes are browned and crispy in spots, 4 to 8 minutes. Add the pork and scallions and cook, stirring often, until the pork is heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar.
Per serving: 391 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 5 g fiber; 366 mg sodium; 934 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (150% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two