Pork & Red Pepper Hash
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Red bell pepper and scallions add crunch and color to this full-flavored hash. Steak, chicken or turkey could be substituted for the pork, if you like.
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 boneless pork loin chop, (4 ounces), trimmed of fat and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups frozen diced hash brown potatoes
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot or sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Sprinkle flour over pork and turn to coat both sides. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Spread the pork evenly in the pan and cook until lightly browned on one side, 1 to 2 minutes. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer the pork to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until starting to brown, 1 to 3 minutes. Add potatoes, bell pepper, paprika, garlic powder, rosemary, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the potatoes are browned and crispy in spots, 4 to 8 minutes. Add the pork and scallions and cook, stirring often, until the pork is heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar.
Per serving: 391 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 5 g fiber; 366 mg sodium; 934 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (150% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If you’re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
There’s no “magic bullet” for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If you’re feeling blue—or want to ward off feeling that way—...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When you’re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If you’re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two