Pork & Red Pepper Hash
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Red bell pepper and scallions add crunch and color to this full-flavored hash. Steak, chicken or turkey could be substituted for the pork, if you like.
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 boneless pork loin chop, (4 ounces), trimmed of fat and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups frozen diced hash brown potatoes
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot or sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Sprinkle flour over pork and turn to coat both sides. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Spread the pork evenly in the pan and cook until lightly browned on one side, 1 to 2 minutes. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer the pork to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until starting to brown, 1 to 3 minutes. Add potatoes, bell pepper, paprika, garlic powder, rosemary, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the potatoes are browned and crispy in spots, 4 to 8 minutes. Add the pork and scallions and cook, stirring often, until the pork is heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar.
Per serving: 391 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 5 g fiber; 366 mg sodium; 934 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (150% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- EatingWell Serves Two