Pork & Red Pepper Hash
From EatingWell: EatingWell Serves Two
Red bell pepper and scallions add crunch and color to this full-flavored hash. Steak, chicken or turkey could be substituted for the pork, if you like.
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 boneless pork loin chop, (4 ounces), trimmed of fat and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cups frozen diced hash brown potatoes
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon hot or sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- Sprinkle flour over pork and turn to coat both sides. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Spread the pork evenly in the pan and cook until lightly browned on one side, 1 to 2 minutes. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until evenly browned, 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer the pork to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until starting to brown, 1 to 3 minutes. Add potatoes, bell pepper, paprika, garlic powder, rosemary, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the potatoes are browned and crispy in spots, 4 to 8 minutes. Add the pork and scallions and cook, stirring often, until the pork is heated through, about 2 minutes. Stir in vinegar.
Per serving: 391 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 32 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 5 g fiber; 366 mg sodium; 934 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (150% daily value), Vitamin A (30% dv), Potassium (27% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- EatingWell Serves Two