Pork, Parsnip & Carrot Hash
From EatingWell: March 1998
Sweet parsnips and carrots are enhanced by tangy molasses in this quick and hearty hash.
- 1 cup water, divided
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups diced parsnips
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces cooked pork tenderloin, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Combine 1/4 cup water, orange juice concentrate, molasses and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots and parsnips; sauté until vegetables are browned in spots, 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Stir in remaining 3/4 cup water and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until liquid is absorbed and vegetables are tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in pork and orange juice mixture and cook until pork is heated through and sauce has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes. Stir in parsley and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately
Per serving: 457 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 13 g fiber; 222 mg sodium; 1874 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (445% daily value), Vitamin C (129% dv), Selenium (65% dv), Potassium (54% dv), Folate (39% dv), Magnesium (28% dv), Iron & Zinc (23% dv), Calcium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 9 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
When you’re watching your diet, snacking healthfully can keep...
Snacking (done right) can be a healthy way to curb your...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
When the temperature drops and the days get shorter, there's...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cooking for 2
- March 1998