Pork, Parsnip & Carrot Hash
From EatingWell: March 1998
Sweet parsnips and carrots are enhanced by tangy molasses in this quick and hearty hash.
- 1 cup water, divided
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups diced parsnips
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces cooked pork tenderloin, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Combine 1/4 cup water, orange juice concentrate, molasses and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots and parsnips; sauté until vegetables are browned in spots, 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Stir in remaining 3/4 cup water and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until liquid is absorbed and vegetables are tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in pork and orange juice mixture and cook until pork is heated through and sauce has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes. Stir in parsley and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately
Per serving: 457 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 13 g fiber; 222 mg sodium; 1874 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (445% daily value), Vitamin C (129% dv), Selenium (65% dv), Potassium (54% dv), Folate (39% dv), Magnesium (28% dv), Iron & Zinc (23% dv), Calcium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 9 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cooking for 2
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March 1998