Pork, Parsnip & Carrot Hash
From EatingWell: March 1998
Sweet parsnips and carrots are enhanced by tangy molasses in this quick and hearty hash.
- 1 cup water, divided
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups diced parsnips
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces cooked pork tenderloin, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Combine 1/4 cup water, orange juice concentrate, molasses and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots and parsnips; sauté until vegetables are browned in spots, 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Stir in remaining 3/4 cup water and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until liquid is absorbed and vegetables are tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in pork and orange juice mixture and cook until pork is heated through and sauce has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes. Stir in parsley and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately
Per serving: 457 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 13 g fiber; 222 mg sodium; 1874 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (445% daily value), Vitamin C (129% dv), Selenium (65% dv), Potassium (54% dv), Folate (39% dv), Magnesium (28% dv), Iron & Zinc (23% dv), Calcium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 9 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cooking for 2
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March 1998