Pork, Parsnip & Carrot Hash
From EatingWell: March 1998
Sweet parsnips and carrots are enhanced by tangy molasses in this quick and hearty hash.
- 1 cup water, divided
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cups diced carrots
- 2 cups diced parsnips
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces cooked pork tenderloin, diced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Combine 1/4 cup water, orange juice concentrate, molasses and Worcestershire sauce in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, carrots and parsnips; sauté until vegetables are browned in spots, 5 to 8 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute more. Stir in remaining 3/4 cup water and cook, scraping up any browned bits, until liquid is absorbed and vegetables are tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in pork and orange juice mixture and cook until pork is heated through and sauce has thickened slightly, about 2 minutes. Stir in parsley and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve immediately
Per serving: 457 calories; 10 g fat (2 g sat, 5 g mono); 67 mg cholesterol; 66 g carbohydrates; 29 g protein; 13 g fiber; 222 mg sodium; 1874 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (445% daily value), Vitamin C (129% dv), Selenium (65% dv), Potassium (54% dv), Folate (39% dv), Magnesium (28% dv), Iron & Zinc (23% dv), Calcium (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 9 1/2 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Cooking for 2
- March 1998