Pork Medallions with Cumberland Sauce
Glossy and burgundy-colored, this traditional English sweet-and-sour sauce turns pork tenderloin into an elegant entree.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1-inch-thick medallions
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced onions, or shallots
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red-currant jelly
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season pork lightly with salt and pepper and cook until brown on the outside and no longer pink but still juicy inside, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add onion (or shallot) and cook, stirring, until softened, about 30 seconds. Add wine and bring to a boil, stirring. Boil until reduced to about 1/3 cup, 5 to 6 minutes. Dissolve cornstarch in lemon juice and whisk into the sauce. Cook, stirring, until thickened and glossy. Remove from heat and stir in jelly, sugar (if using) and mustard. Taste and adjust seasonings with more salt and pepper, if needed. Spoon the sauce over the pork.
Per serving: 298 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 90 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 0 g fiber; 155 mg sodium; 583 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (78% daily value), Zinc (20% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 4 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique