Pork Medallions with Cumberland Sauce
Glossy and burgundy-colored, this traditional English sweet-and-sour sauce turns pork tenderloin into an elegant entree.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1-inch-thick medallions
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced onions, or shallots
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red-currant jelly
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season pork lightly with salt and pepper and cook until brown on the outside and no longer pink but still juicy inside, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add onion (or shallot) and cook, stirring, until softened, about 30 seconds. Add wine and bring to a boil, stirring. Boil until reduced to about 1/3 cup, 5 to 6 minutes. Dissolve cornstarch in lemon juice and whisk into the sauce. Cook, stirring, until thickened and glossy. Remove from heat and stir in jelly, sugar (if using) and mustard. Taste and adjust seasonings with more salt and pepper, if needed. Spoon the sauce over the pork.
Per serving: 298 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 90 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 0 g fiber; 155 mg sodium; 583 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (78% daily value), Zinc (20% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 4 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique