Pork Medallions with Cumberland Sauce
Glossy and burgundy-colored, this traditional English sweet-and-sour sauce turns pork tenderloin into an elegant entree.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1-inch-thick medallions
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced onions, or shallots
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red-currant jelly
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season pork lightly with salt and pepper and cook until brown on the outside and no longer pink but still juicy inside, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add onion (or shallot) and cook, stirring, until softened, about 30 seconds. Add wine and bring to a boil, stirring. Boil until reduced to about 1/3 cup, 5 to 6 minutes. Dissolve cornstarch in lemon juice and whisk into the sauce. Cook, stirring, until thickened and glossy. Remove from heat and stir in jelly, sugar (if using) and mustard. Taste and adjust seasonings with more salt and pepper, if needed. Spoon the sauce over the pork.
Per serving: 298 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 90 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 0 g fiber; 155 mg sodium; 583 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (78% daily value), Zinc (20% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 4 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation