Pork Medallions with Cumberland Sauce
Glossy and burgundy-colored, this traditional English sweet-and-sour sauce turns pork tenderloin into an elegant entree.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1-inch-thick medallions
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced onions, or shallots
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red-currant jelly
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season pork lightly with salt and pepper and cook until brown on the outside and no longer pink but still juicy inside, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add onion (or shallot) and cook, stirring, until softened, about 30 seconds. Add wine and bring to a boil, stirring. Boil until reduced to about 1/3 cup, 5 to 6 minutes. Dissolve cornstarch in lemon juice and whisk into the sauce. Cook, stirring, until thickened and glossy. Remove from heat and stir in jelly, sugar (if using) and mustard. Taste and adjust seasonings with more salt and pepper, if needed. Spoon the sauce over the pork.
Per serving: 298 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 90 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 0 g fiber; 155 mg sodium; 583 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (78% daily value), Zinc (20% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 4 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique