Pork Medallions with Cumberland Sauce
Glossy and burgundy-colored, this traditional English sweet-and-sour sauce turns pork tenderloin into an elegant entree.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, divided
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1-inch-thick medallions
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced onions, or shallots
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons red-currant jelly
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar, (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season pork lightly with salt and pepper and cook until brown on the outside and no longer pink but still juicy inside, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil to the pan. Add onion (or shallot) and cook, stirring, until softened, about 30 seconds. Add wine and bring to a boil, stirring. Boil until reduced to about 1/3 cup, 5 to 6 minutes. Dissolve cornstarch in lemon juice and whisk into the sauce. Cook, stirring, until thickened and glossy. Remove from heat and stir in jelly, sugar (if using) and mustard. Taste and adjust seasonings with more salt and pepper, if needed. Spoon the sauce over the pork.
Per serving: 298 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat, 4 g mono); 90 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 32 g protein; 0 g fiber; 155 mg sodium; 583 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (78% daily value), Zinc (20% dv), Potassium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 other carbohydrate, 4 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique