Pork Medallions with a Port-&-Cranberry Pan Sauce
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
The autumn flavors in this dish go well with roasted vegetables.
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup port
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 sage leaves
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Combine cranberries and port in a small bowl. Set aside. Slice tenderloin into medallions 1 1/2 inches thick. Place between 2 layers of plastic wrap, and pound the medallions with the bottom of a saucepan until they are 1/2 inch thick. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sear medallions on one side until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn and sear on the other side for 4 to 5 minutes; turn medallions again and continue cooking until golden brown and no longer pink in the center, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a serving platter and cover loosely to keep warm.
- Add garlic to the pan and return to medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add port with cranberries, vinegar and sage leaves; cook for 1 minute, scraping skillet for browned bits. Pour in broth, swirl the pan and bring to a boil again. Continue cooking until sauce thickens and is reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Remove the garlic and sage. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon over the pork and serve.
Per serving: 194 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 0 g fiber; 137 mg sodium; 370 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (55% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 4 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- November/December 1992
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)