Pork Medallions with a Port-&-Cranberry Pan Sauce
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
The autumn flavors in this dish go well with roasted vegetables.
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup port
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 sage leaves
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Combine cranberries and port in a small bowl. Set aside. Slice tenderloin into medallions 1 1/2 inches thick. Place between 2 layers of plastic wrap, and pound the medallions with the bottom of a saucepan until they are 1/2 inch thick. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sear medallions on one side until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn and sear on the other side for 4 to 5 minutes; turn medallions again and continue cooking until golden brown and no longer pink in the center, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a serving platter and cover loosely to keep warm.
- Add garlic to the pan and return to medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add port with cranberries, vinegar and sage leaves; cook for 1 minute, scraping skillet for browned bits. Pour in broth, swirl the pan and bring to a boil again. Continue cooking until sauce thickens and is reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Remove the garlic and sage. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon over the pork and serve.
Per serving: 194 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 0 g fiber; 137 mg sodium; 370 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (55% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 4 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- November/December 1992