Pork Medallions with a Port-&-Cranberry Pan Sauce
From EatingWell: November/December 1992
The autumn flavors in this dish go well with roasted vegetables.
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup port
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves cloves garlic, peeled and halved
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 sage leaves
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Combine cranberries and port in a small bowl. Set aside. Slice tenderloin into medallions 1 1/2 inches thick. Place between 2 layers of plastic wrap, and pound the medallions with the bottom of a saucepan until they are 1/2 inch thick. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sear medallions on one side until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Turn and sear on the other side for 4 to 5 minutes; turn medallions again and continue cooking until golden brown and no longer pink in the center, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove to a serving platter and cover loosely to keep warm.
- Add garlic to the pan and return to medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add port with cranberries, vinegar and sage leaves; cook for 1 minute, scraping skillet for browned bits. Pour in broth, swirl the pan and bring to a boil again. Continue cooking until sauce thickens and is reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Remove the garlic and sage. Season the sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Spoon over the pork and serve.
Per serving: 194 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 64 mg cholesterol; 9 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 23 g protein; 0 g fiber; 137 mg sodium; 370 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (55% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 4 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- November/December 1992