Pork Cutlets with Cumberland Sauce
Old-fashioned, sweet and sour Cumberland Sauce, a British favorite, makes a fine topping for pork. Round out the meal with roasted new potatoes and sauteed greens.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 thin-cut boneless pork chops, (8 ounces), trimmed of fat
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red currant jelly
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar, (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Season pork with salt and pepper, transfer to the pan and cook until browned and no longer pink in the middle, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add shallot to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, until softened, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add wine and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil until reduced to about 2 tablespoons, 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk cornstarch and vinegar in a small bowl; whisk into the sauce. Cook, stirring, until thickened and glossy, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and stir in jelly, sugar (if using), mustard and any accumulated juices from the pork. Serve the pork with the sauce.
Per serving: 270 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 422 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (54% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrates, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day