Pork Cutlets with Cumberland Sauce
Old-fashioned, sweet and sour Cumberland Sauce, a British favorite, makes a fine topping for pork. Round out the meal with roasted new potatoes and sauteed greens.
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 thin-cut boneless pork chops, (8 ounces), trimmed of fat
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red currant jelly
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar, (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Season pork with salt and pepper, transfer to the pan and cook until browned and no longer pink in the middle, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add shallot to the pan and cook, stirring constantly, until softened, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add wine and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil until reduced to about 2 tablespoons, 2 to 3 minutes. Whisk cornstarch and vinegar in a small bowl; whisk into the sauce. Cook, stirring, until thickened and glossy, about 30 seconds. Remove from the heat and stir in jelly, sugar (if using), mustard and any accumulated juices from the pork. Serve the pork with the sauce.
Per serving: 270 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 5 g mono); 65 mg cholesterol; 11 g carbohydrates; 24 g protein; 0 g fiber; 208 mg sodium; 422 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (54% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 other carbohydrates, 3 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 15 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Valentine's Day