Pork Chops with Pear & Ginger Sauce
In this quick saute, vinegar and sugar are caramelized in the skillet, forming a deep, richly flavored base for the sauce. Ginger adds a spicy note that plays against the mild pork and pear.
- 4 4-ounce boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick, trimmed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 firm, ripe pear, such as Bosc or Anjou, peeled, cored and cut lengthwise into eighths
- 1 1-1/2-inch-long piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin julienne strips (1/4 cup)
- 6 scallions, trimmed and sliced into 1/2-inch lengths
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons water
- Season pork with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook until browned and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Pour off fat from the pan.
- Add vinegar and sugar to the pan; stir to dissolve the sugar. Cook over medium-high heat until the syrup turns dark amber, 10 to 20 seconds. Pour in wine (stand back, as the caramel may sputter) and bring to a simmer, stirring. Add broth, pears and ginger; bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, turning the pears occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add scallions and cook until the pears are tender, about 2 minutes more. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until lightly thickened. Reduce heat to low and return the pork and any accumulated juices to the pan; turn to coat with the sauce. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 237 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 52 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 2 g fiber; 286 mg sodium; 635 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 635 mg potassium (32% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat