Pork Chops with Pear & Ginger Sauce
In this quick saute, vinegar and sugar are caramelized in the skillet, forming a deep, richly flavored base for the sauce. Ginger adds a spicy note that plays against the mild pork and pear.
- 4 4-ounce boneless pork chops, 1/2 inch thick, trimmed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 firm, ripe pear, such as Bosc or Anjou, peeled, cored and cut lengthwise into eighths
- 1 1-1/2-inch-long piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin julienne strips (1/4 cup)
- 6 scallions, trimmed and sliced into 1/2-inch lengths
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons water
- Season pork with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pork and cook until browned and just cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Pour off fat from the pan.
- Add vinegar and sugar to the pan; stir to dissolve the sugar. Cook over medium-high heat until the syrup turns dark amber, 10 to 20 seconds. Pour in wine (stand back, as the caramel may sputter) and bring to a simmer, stirring. Add broth, pears and ginger; bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, turning the pears occasionally, for 5 minutes. Add scallions and cook until the pears are tender, about 2 minutes more. Add the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until lightly thickened. Reduce heat to low and return the pork and any accumulated juices to the pan; turn to coat with the sauce. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 237 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 52 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 23 g protein; 2 g fiber; 286 mg sodium; 635 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 635 mg potassium (32% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 3 lean meat, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Entertaining, casual
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, meat
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique